Free Domestic Shipping over $40

PET POISON PREVENTION WEEK

Greyhound eye closeup

This whole month is Poison Prevention Awareness Month, and March 21 – 28 in particular is National Poison Prevention Week.  It seems appropriate then to revisit some information we’ve shared before about things that are toxic to your Greyhound or any dog.

The top 10 dog poisons include medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, rodent and bug poisons, tobacco, some household plants, and household cleaners, as well as others.  See more details here https://bit.ly/top-dog-poisons

There are common foods that also are toxic to dogs. Many of these you are familiar with already, including

  • Candy, especially chocolate
  • Grapes or raisins
  • Nuts, especially macadamia nuts
  • Wild mushrooms
  • Onions and garlic
  • Anything caffeinated
  • Sugary desserts
  • High fat foods
  • Salty foods
  • Alcohol
  • Sugar-free items with xylitol
  • Yeast dough
  • Cooked bones

There are other foods that are less talked-about, but still should be kept out of reach of your hound. They may not be lethal, but they will make your dog miserable. And you really don’t need any more messes to clean up, do you?

Green potatoes, or any raw potatoes – these contain solanine which is a glycoalkaloid is mostly produced in green or raw potatoes and can cause heart problems and gastrointestinal upset. Raw potatoes and potato skins also contain chaconine which can cause neurological system symptoms and kidney function disorder.  Symptoms to look out for – Vomiting, tremors, panting, jaundice, fever, and dizziness.

no fruit pits

Fruit pits, especially from cherries, apricots, peaches or plums – these contain cyanide which is very poisonous for dogs. Symptoms to look out for – Vomiting and stomach upset are visible signs of fruit pit poisoning. Though your dog will recover over 24 hours, vets don’t recommend these fruits for dogs, unless the fruit is pitted first.

Dairy products like cheese, butter, and cottage cheese have high-fat content and too much can be harmful to your dog’s stomach and can even cause pancreatitis. Most dogs are also lactose intolerant and though they would love to eat any dairy products they come across, that may upset their digestive system. Again, any milk product or by-products of milk are toxic foods for dogs. Symptoms to look out for – Diarrhea, vomiting, loose stool, and abdominal pain.

no blue cheese

Blue cheeses like Stilton and Roquefort contain a substance called roquefortine C to which dogs are highly vulnerable. The presence of this chemical can cause gastrointestinal issues as well as neurological problems in dogs. Symptoms to look out for – vomiting, diarrhea, twitching, seizures, and high body temperatures.

Mustard and Mustard Seeds - contain a toxic compound called glucusinolate, which is toxic to dogs. It can lead to gastroenteritis, which is inflammation of the stomach or intestinal tract. Symptoms to look out for – Diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

Coconut - Though coconut is not considered to be a toxic foods for dogs, it still is not recommended because it may cause gastric problems and abnormal bloating. Some dogs may be allergic and thus more susceptible to bad effects after ingesting coconut. It contains triglycerides which may be problematic for your pooch.  Symptoms to look out for – Vomiting and diarrhea.

Spinach - contains high oxalic acid which restricts the body’s ability to absorb calcium. Since spinach consumption may lead to a calcium imbalance, use caution and consult your veterinarian before adding spinach to your dog’s diet. Many healthy dogs can handle infrequent, small amounts of spinach, but always check with your veterinarian before switching your pet’s food. It is also very difficult for dogs to digest and can lead to kidney damage. Symptoms to look out for – Vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, red-tinted urine, and lethargy.

no sodas

Soda – not recommended for dogs or for humans. None of us need added sugars or chemical sugar substitutes. Xylitol especially is harmful to dogs. Soda can also contain caffeine that can be very toxic for your dog. It can increase heart attack risk and can shorten your dog’s life.  Symptoms to look out for – Frequent urination, restlessness, short of breath and exercise intolerance.

If you’re concerned that your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have, call your veterinarian immediately. The sooner you get professional help, the easier, cheaper and safer it will be to treat the poisoning. 

If you can’t talk to a veterinarian right away, call the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or Safety Call International’s Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. A credentialed veterinary professional will guide you.  Based on the information you provide, they’ll determine if your pet can be treated and monitored at home or if you need to get to a veterinarian. You may be charged a consultation fee for calling either helpline. 

Please share any experiences you’ve had with adverse reactions to something your dog has eaten in the comments below.

Meanwhile, for a great overview of how to keep your pet safe, including how to pet-proof your home, check out https://healthcareinsider.com/pet-poison-awareness-329135

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published